Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Post Holiday Let Down

So it's almost New Year's and I suppose this is the time to sit and ponder and think about what was and what is about to come.

I guess it's supposed to be like that, but I don't have the time or energy to do it. I'm happy to land in bed by 9:30, read a few pages of my new wonderful Jonathan Kellerman book, and lights out by 10, only to be awoken at midnight by a squirmy visitor to our bed. Lately, that's been Owen.. slinks up between James and I, thinks we don't feel him, and slides under the sheets, feet freezing us out!

But I digress.. While I am very glad the rush of the holidays are over, it makes me a bit sad that the season is on it's way out the door again. I was thinking of a friend who I can hear saying about the task of Christmas cards, "Thank goodness that's over, what a chore.. one more thing I HAVE to do".. well, it got me thinking, why do it? If it's such a chore, such a hassle, why?

This is the first year in about 10 years or so that I didn't do cards. (I almost said We, but that would imply that James has something to do with the process of taking said picture, getting them developed, ordered, letter written, labels printed, envelopes stuffed and stamped. ).. but I digress again, this husband of mine is happy to show up for the picture, but his involvement ends there!

So, back to the year of No cards.. I just didn't have it in me. I had emailed pictures of the boys to friends a few months ago, so that will have to suffice for the time being.
The boys are growing like weeds, but a bit longer won't make that big of a difference.

So, we survived Christmas, it was a small one this year, and I found it was ok. I sweated the number of gifts we had, wondered if I shouldn't go out and sell some plasma to get more, but held back, and it was ok. The boys loved what they got, had a ball being with each other, even when they were calling each other buttheads every 10 seconds, and Owen telling us every 10 seconds that someone was calling someone a butthead!

I'm taking joy in what I have. Healthy family, good kids, about to notch 20 years on James and I's anniversary belt, great friends.. what I always wanted. What I used to pray for, sit in the dark and cry for, and now I have it.
I want the holiday to go on... the little sliver of time that is right now.. but alas, it's moving on..
soon it will be all here again, and we'll be reflecting on things next fall.

But, for now, here's to the season, to all we have, to having all we want!

No comments: